Since the launch of energy-efficiency and retrofit programs across Australia, residents have been able to take advantage of upgrades like switching to LED or installing an energy monitor to reduce their energy consumption and carbon emissions. With these upgrades everyone wins; Australia and the states within reduce their carbon emissions and help Australia get closer to their Paris Climate Agreement and residents reduce their home or business energy costs.
Let’s take the lighting retrofits to LED as our primary example – since it’s one of the services we offer and we’re one of the biggest participants within Victoria and NSW.
“In Australia, lighting accounts for 10% of the average household electricity budget.” source
The average annual running cost of a halogen downlight is $35.
The average annual running cost of an LED downlight is $3.50.
Doing the math: if you upgrade 20 halogen lights to LEDs you would save $630 a year on your lighting costs!
Why is that?
Call us Find out more
How can LEDs save you money?
There are a number of reasons LEDs cost less to run.
- They’re newer technology – “To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” – that’s just what LEDs do.
- LEDs do not require the filaments of the globe to be heated to provide light, unlike older globes. This maximises the energy consumed – it all goes into generating light, not heat.
- LEDs last tens of thousands of hours longer than outdated globes. An LED’s average lifespan is around 20,000 hours. a halogen globe might last a year (as anyone who has owned halogens can attest – they blow all the time!). You may never need to change your LEDs.
- Improved beam angles to prevent wasted light/energy
- They’re free through state incentives like Victoria and NSW ($33 installation charge in NSW)
They run cooler, they’re less likely to break and you won’t need to climb a ladder as often to replace them, so they’re also safer to run.
Call us Find out more
So, how do LEDs save money?
LEDs save money by being the newest and best technology available right now.
And, the best part is LEDs are free under some state programs. Energy Makeovers can assess your light fittings and install free LEDs in your home or business, for as long as the program is around. But, take advantage now, because they won’t be around forever.
How can LEDs save money?
They're very efficiency and use less energy.
If I upgrade from halogen to LED what do I save?
The average annual running cost of a halogen downlight is $35. The average annual running cost of an LED downlight is $3.50. If you upgrade 20 halogen lights to LEDs you would save $630 a year on your lighting costs!